of St, Johnsbury, Caledonia County, Republican, was born at St. Johnsbury, Vermont on November 27, 1915. Occupation: Professor Lyndon State College. He graduated from University of Chicago (A.B., Political Science, 1938) (A.M., Latin, 1949); (post-graduate study under Committee on History of Culture, 1950). Latin and history instructor at St. Johnsbury Academy, 1938-47; the Hatch Preparatory School, Dexter, Maine,1947-48; teacher, St. Johnsbury Jr. High , 1957-58; chairman, Social Science Division, Lyndon State College since 1959. New England director of 1951 Crusade fro Freedom; chairman, Caledonia County Republican committee, 1944-48, and member of St, Johnsbury town Republican committee for thirty-three years; delegate to 1956 and 1964 Republican National Conventions; justice of the peace for twenty-seven years. Member of Forest Festival Committee, 1953-57; 1955 Interim Commission on Highway Litter; Commission on Interstate Cooperation, 1953-71 (chairman, 1959-63); Historic Sites Commission, 1953-63 (chairman, 1959-63); Commission to study State Government (“Little Hoover”); Vermont Civil War Centennial Commission; Board of Managers, Council of State Governments, 1959-65; N.E. Board of Higher education, 1959-65; Advisory Commission on Inter-Governmental Relations, 1962-64; trustee, Brightlook Hospital, 1954-72; member, Education Commission of the states, 1973-75; president, Vermont Historical Society, 1965-69.
Member of the House from St. Johnsbury in 1953; of the Senate from Caledonia County in 1955,1957, 1959, 1961, 1963, 1971, 1973, 1975-76, and 1977-78; of the House from District 10-2 in 1966, 1967-68, and 1969-70.