Glendon Pierce of North Shrewsbury, Republican, was born in North Shrewsbury in 1914. While he never served in the Legislature, in 1926 he was selected as a page. He graduated from Rutland High School in 1931, attended Drexel Institute and the Albany Diesal Institute. From 1946-59 he served as a supervisor for the Barrett Division of Allied Chemical and Dye Corp. For forty years he ran the W.E.Pierce Store, an old-time general store, with his brother and two sisters. His father had run it before him, and growing up in the store he learned the art of practical joking and story telling, both of which he practiced very successfully. He and his sister Marjorie closed the store in 1993, and Glendon died a year and a half later in 1995.