Information and Services
The Vermont Folklife Center Archive is dedicated to providing public access to its collections. With this in mind, we maintain a Resource Center for researchers of all ages. This Resource Center includes audio listening stations, a video-viewing area, a reference library and access to computer terminals.
Hours of Operation The VFC archive Resource Center is open to the public by appointment. To make the most efficient use of your time, or to make sure that the collections you wish to see and the archivist are available, please contact us in advance of your visit.
To arrange an appointment or to inquire about our holdings, please contact the archivist at 802-388-4964 or email@example.com
Research & Service Fees There is no charge for using the materials at the VFC archive or for most reference services. For materials with releases permitting duplication, researchers may request copies for their own use. The VFC archive charges duplication of materials to recover costs for providing these additional services. Members of the Vermont Folklife Center are eligible for a 10% discount on service fees. Duplication of some materials in the collection is prohibited.
The VFC archive charges the following fees for duplication services:
- Analog Audio Cassettes: $10.00 per tape plus shipping.
- AUDIO CD (CD-DA Format): $20.00 per disc plus shipping.
- CD-ROM (WAV or MP3): $15.00 per disc plus shipping.
- DVD-ROM (WAV or MP3): $25.00 per disc plus shipping.
- CD-ROM (TIFF, JPG): $15.00 per disc plus shipping.
- DVD-ROM (TIFF, JPG): $25.00 per disc plus shipping.
- Photocopies: 25 cents per page plus shipping.
- CD-ROM (PDF): $15.00 per disc plus shipping.
- DVD-ROM (PDF): $25.00 per disc plus shipping
Video and Motion Picture
- VHS: $15.00 per tape.
- DVD-Video: Cost varies based on original source materials.
- DVD-ROM: Cost varies based on original source materials.
- Digital tape: Cost varies based on original source materials and tape format requested.
- Motion picture film: Cost varies based on original source mateiral and format requested.
The VFC Archive charges the following fees for digitization services:
- Analog audiocassette: $75.00 per hour studio time.
- Digital Audio Tape (DAT): $75.00 per hour studio time
- Analog reel-to-reel tape: Cost varies.
- Photographic prints: $5.00 per scan.
- Photographic slides: Cost varies.
- Negatives: Cost Varies.
- Audio and text transcription services: $20.00 per hour of transcription time.
Video and Motion Picture
- Cost varies based on source format.
Please note, the use of copies of materials from the VFC archive is governed by United States copyright law, and is limited to individual research or personal use. Duplication charges solely recoup the cost for providing reproduction services and do not include licencing fees for the commercial reproduction or commercial use of materials from the VFC archive collection.
Circulation At this time, none of the materials in The Vermont Folklife Center archive circulate.
Licencing Permission to reproduce or use materials from the VFC archive for any commercial purpose, including but not limited to on-line use and presentation, publication in any format or exhibits, must be secured from the Vermont Folklife Center prior to web mounting, publication or exhibition. Licencing fees, where applicable, are calculated separately from reproduction costs. Please contact the archivist for details.
Consulting Services The VFC archivist is available to consult for program, archival, and organizational development for organizations seeking to establish, maintain, or restructure multi-media archives of folklife and historic materials. We work with small and large cultural organizations around the country to assist with the creation, stabilization, and arrangement of such collections. VFC staff are also available to consult with organizations on the planning and execution of ethnographic and oral history projects. Please contact the archivist for more information about our consulting services and staff availability for such projects.