Searching and Browsing
Content in the Vermont Folklife Center Digital Collections can be searched and browsed in a variety of ways.
Searching the Database
The search box in the upper right-hand corner of the screen allows for keyword searching of the entire database. Simple searches will look for the entered search term or terms across all database fields. Simple searches are the least precise, and will produce the largest number of search results.
Beneath the Simple Search box in the upper right-hand corner of the screen is the link to the Advanced Search page. Advanced Search allows for more precise searching of the database. Searches can bee limited to particular database fields such as Title or Interviewee, or to particular types of materials such as aSongbook, Oral History or individual Song.
Browsing the Database
The database can be browsed in several different ways:
- By selecting the "Collections" link at the top of page, entire Collections can be browsed.
- By selecting the "Browse All" link at the top of the page, Individual Items in the database can be browsed. An Item can be an audio recording of a full interview, an excerpted performance from a longer recording, a series of images, an individual image, or manuscript material.
- The Martha Pellerin Collection of Franco American Song allows users to browse individual songs and audio recordings specific to this collection.
Browsing the Martha Pellerin Collection of Franco-American Song
- Interview Recordings: Browsing Interviews provides access to each of the interviews in the Martha Pellerin Collection of Franco-American Song including complete audio recordings and full transcripts.
- Song Book Manuscripts: Browsing Song Books provides access to each complete song book and allows for page-by-page browsing of each song book in the collection.
- Songs: Browsing by Songs provides access to individual songs that have been excerpted from the full Interviews and complete Song Books. Songs can be browsed into two ways, by Item Number and alphabetically by Title.
Browsing by Item Number
The default browse for excerpted songs is by Item Number of each song in the database. This is a default setting in Omeka and cannot be changed.
Browsing by Song Title
To browse by Song Title select Sort by Title in the upper left of the screen below the header. Due to an unfortunate quirk in the way Omeka functions, on each page of browse results Sort by Title must be reselected.